Exponential Search algorithm

search
algorithm
exponential-search

(Team) #1

Exponential Search

Exponential search (also called doubling search or galloping search or Struzik search) is an algorithm, created by Jon Bentley and Andrew Chi-Chih Yao in 1976, for searching sorted, unbounded/infinite lists. There are numerous ways to implement this with the most common being to determine a range that the search key resides in and performing a binary search within that range.

Implementation in various languages: here

For any query, do comment.

Complexity Notation
Worst-case performance O(log n)
Best-case performance O(1)
Average performance O(log n)
Worst-case space complexity O(1)

Procedure

Exponential search involves two steps:

• Find range where element is present
  • Do Binary Search in above found range.

How to find the range where element may be present?

The idea is to start with subarray size 1 compare its last element with x, then try size 2, then 4 and so on until last element of a subarray is not greater. Once we find an index i (after repeated doubling of i), we know that the element must be present between i/2 and i (Why i/2? because we could not find a greater value in previous iteration).

Applications of Exponential Search:

Exponential Binary Search is particularly useful for unbounded searches, where size of array is infinite. Please refer Unbounded Binary Search for an example. It works better than Binary Search for bounded arrays also when the element to be searched is closer to the first element.