Multirepo explained

software-engineering
software-architecture
multirepo
netflix
amazon

(Team) #1

Multirepo is a software architecture which means a separate repository for each project. Each project is an independent working unit. It has minimum tooling investment and is in use at companies such as Amazon and Netflix.

Read this article to understand the various aspects of Multirepo

Some interesting articles:

Have a doubt or thought? Join the discussion now
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://iq.opengenus.org/multirepo-explained/

(Pratik Agarwal) #2

I was just curious, is there any difference between multirepo architecture and microservices?

(Aditya Chatterjee) #3

You can think of microservices as a software design architecture where the aim is to keep maximum parts of code independent/ loosely coupled.

On the other hand, monorepo and multirepo can be seen as a code management architecture.

A software following the microservices architecture can be implemented/ managed as a monorepo as well as multirepo. Let me know if this clears the difference :+1:

(Pratik Agarwal) #4

Yeah i got it, thanks.
But i am not aware about microrepo, is it like using single repo for multiple projects?

(Aditya Chatterjee) #5

Yes, I meant monorepo

It is similar to using a single repository for independent projects. Bazel is an open source example of monorepo architecture